Thursday, September 27, 2007

Today I counted my pennies

Today I counted my pennies. I've been saving them for years and years but I'm cashing them in. No, I'm not broke. I'm excited though! I'm taking my earnings and buying a wedding dress. Well, actually, they probably won't even pay the sales tax on the wedding dress. It's a sentimental thing. For those of you who don't know, when I was a teenager, I saved my pennies. I can remember seeing the jar of them on my bureau on High Street in Hope Valley. I don't know why I kept them. We didn't have anything. By the time I moved to New Hampshire, I had decided that maybe someday I would get married and I would spend my pennies on a wedding dress.

I think I had $9.00 worth of pennies to put toward my dress 25 years ago. I don't remember now. But when Christie was born and I held her in my arms, I dreamt of a day that she would get married and have the wedding dress of her dreams. I've been saving pennies again for maybe 10 years.

This morning I got out my pennies. I've dreamt about Karen getting married too, so I kept some of those hard won coins for her. I can't post the photo I took but I have one big Mason jar and two smaller jelly jars full of pennies to cash in. I don't think the Bridal shop will take them in their current form.

A cute side story. A couple of years ago, Christie told the penny story at a party. Casey's friend Jamie Lyon heard it and then gave her a ziploc baggie of pennies. You all will probably see Jamie in a tuxedo on the wedding day. He and I will have paid for Christie's wedding dress. His portion? About $2.50!

3 comments:

Christie said...

Awww, I love all the stuff that revolves around the pennies and the stories that go with them! It's very sentimental, and maybe a little silly, but I love it. Jamie is a sweetheart and I'm glad he gets to be honored as a groomsmen. Yay for good friends and a neat family tradition- that's right, I'll be saving my pennies in the hope that one day I have a daughter who will need a pretty white dress. :)

Poopsie said...

That was very sweet, and pretty inspiring.
I have a daughter that is already checking out wedding magazines, and planning her big day. She has been since she was able to walk, I think.The man of her dreams has changed a few times, but her dream of the big day and the white dress hasn't. :)
I have a jar, and in it are going my first pennies. I wanted to toss it, and Darrell wouldn't let me. Now, I know why I gave in and tossed it, uner the desk. (don't tell Fly Lady, okay? :)

Kathy said...

Total amount of pennies? $26.04! I saved a jar for Karen. Hey, you never know!