Friday, January 25, 2008

Remember Me

Hey, it's Karen. I know I've been a stranger lately, but I've been super busy. I have a crazy semester, but it's the last one, so YAY! Well, I am mainly here to post about my trip to New York. The last weekend of break before I had to come back to school I went to NYC to visit some friends from the circus and I had a BLAST. I was there from Sunday night to Wednesday and fit about as much as I could have possibly imagined. I went to some cool places (usually involving food) like Serendipity, which is a famous cafe that serves the famous Frozen Hot Chocolate, which was delicious. We also went to the Magnolia Cafe which is also famous (for yummy cup cakes). Other places we went were a cool Japanese barbecue restaurant, Burritoville and Khyber Pass which is an afghan restaurant with hookahs, which is basically flavored tobacco. It was my first time, and it was really fun. We ended up being there for like four hours, it was great. Unfortunately, a lot of the pictures I took were from my cell phone and I'm not sure I can upload pictures from there, but I will if I figure out how. Here are a few.







This is from the Guggenheim museum, which was just ok, but we figured out this is where Will Smith chases the alien in the first scene of Men in Black, which is pretty sweet.









This is Washington Square Park, just something I thought everyone would recognize.















This is my artsy picture at Khyber Pass, the Afghan place. I had a Red Mimosa (Champagne with cranberry) which was yummy and a slice of cheesecake (we had just eaten at the Japanese place, so I was pretty full)

A good story of my trip involved being accosted by an angry Italian guy. My post is pretty long already, so I'll give the condensed version. We were walking along the street and this guy was talking to the girl in Italian. The girl said "I'm telling you, I don't speak Italian!" My friend (Toy Store, whom I adore) decides, jokingly, to say in a loud voice the only Italian word he knows, which I can't spell, but in english is the F word. Well, we keep walking and I hear the guy yelling at us in Italian behind us and next thing I know, we're at the corner of the street and he is right behind us and goes up to my friend who uttered the expletive, right in his face and starts yelling at him in his strong accent "You got something to say to me? You want to say something to me, you say it to my face!" And on and on and my other friend had to separate them, saying it was just a joke, he was joking. Finally the guy backed off because Toy Store (a nickname given at the circus, in case you were wondering) backed away. The best part was that he was SO italian. He had the black slicked back hair, with the first couple of buttons undone on his shirt, revealing his chest hair and a cross necklace. I found the whole incident very entertaining. There is one other wonderful story, which I will tell at a later time because I've so far written a novel, and I shall give you all a break, but I just wanted to check in and touch base with everyone about my life. More to come later!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a treat! Funny thing--- I saw Grama and Aunt Beth earlier tonight and gave my second hand account of your amazing trip. Yeah, I live vicariously through you! But, really, sometimes your life is SO interesting and fun! I love you and will talk to you soon!

Jenn said...

So my question is, did you smoke out of the hookah? Mike and I are going to the India Queen in Hanover where there is a hookah bar to try it out. We talked to a guy at UndUn about buying a small hookah and smoking the flavored tobacco out of it, how it works and everything. It seemed pretty cool (and hookah tobacco is "better" for you than cigarette tobacco- it's herbal) we had no idea how big of a sub culture hookah smoking is. So that's all I was wondering about, but the rest of the trip sounded superb!

Beth said...

This comment is directed to Jenn: WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? Yesterday you had a big scare and today you are planning to up your tobacco intake even more!?!?!?